A nice Paternoster image:
Image from page 382 of “The history and antiquities of the abbey church of St. Peter, Westminster : including notices and biographical memoirs of the abbots and deans of that foundation” (1818)

Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Identifier: historyantiquiti02bray
Title: The history and antiquities of the abbey church of St. Peter, Westminster : including notices and biographical memoirs of the abbots and deans of that foundation
Year: 1818 (1810s)
Authors: Brayley, E. W. (Edward Wedlake), 1773-1854 Armstrong, Cosmo Byfield, John, 1788-1841 Byrne, Elizabeth Douthitt Byrne, John, 1786-1847 Carter, James, 1798-1855 Cleghorn, John Cooke, George, 1781-1834 Le Keux, Henry, 1787-1868 Le Keux, John, 1783-1846 Lewis, J., fl. 1818-1823 Matthews, T Moses, Henry, 1782?-1870 Neale, John Preston, 1780-1847 Radclyffe, William, 1780-1855 Roffe, Robert Cabbell, d. 1839 Roffe, John, 1769-1850 Sands, Robert, 1782-1855 Scott, John, 1774-1827 Smith, W. R., fl. before 1832-1851 Taylor, William Dean, 1794-1857 Thompson, James Robert, b. ca. 1799 Tingle, James, fl. 1824-1850 Varrall, John Charles, fl. 1818-1848 Willement, Thomas, 1786-1871 Woolnoth, W. (William)
Subjects: Westminster Abbey Westminster Abbey Westminster Abbey Abbots Deans, Cathedral and collegiate Architecture, Gothic Church buildings Church architecture
Publisher: London : Published by the proprietor, J.P. Neale, Bennett-Street, Blackfriars-Road and sold also by Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, Paternoster-Row
Contributing Library: Getty Research Institute
Digitizing Sponsor: Getty Research Institute
View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
ll office for a clerk : theouter mouldings rise from corbel heads, and unite in a pinnacle. In theadjoining compartment are four lance-shaped niches, surmounted by anarrangement of elegantly-designed tracery, now greatly damaged. Theseniches are by some supposed to have been used as a lavatory ; but from theirpresent ruinous condition, it seems impossible to ascertain the original usefor which they were really designed : on each of the ribs, near the spring-ing of the arches, are remains of small iron hooks, greatly corroded. On thekey-stone of the groining belonging to this division, are sculptured four humanheads, and as many birds; in allusion, probably, to the feeding of Elijah byravens. The small door-way in the next compartment opens into one of theprebendal gardens. The north side of this Cloister is shewn in Plate XXXII,B : it consists of eight divisions ; all which but the end ones, were bereaved oftheir tracery some years ago, under the futile pretext of letting in more air.
Text Appearing After Image:
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.
Image automatically curated and published by www.free-mail.co.za – CLICK HERE to learn more about WP Robot for WordPress.
Have you tried: Diving with Sharks?
