Check out this Kings Beach image:
Image from page 919 of “History of Westchester county : New York, including Morrisania, Kings Bridge, and West Farms, which have been annexed to New York City /” (1886)

Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Identifier: historyofwestche00scha_0
Title: History of Westchester county : New York, including Morrisania, Kings Bridge, and West Farms, which have been annexed to New York City /
Year: 1886 (1880s)
Authors: Scharf, J. Thomas (John Thomas), 1843-1898,
Subjects: Manors
Publisher: Philadelphia : L.E. Preston & Co.
Contributing Library: Columbia University Libraries
Digitizing Sponsor: The Durst Organization
View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
perhaps 672 HISTORY OF WESTCHESTER COUNTY. the largest proprietor on Peningo Neck at this timewas Philemon Halsted. He lived in the house whichis stillstandingon the eorner of the Milton road andthe road to the beach, and owned the farm on both Jsides of the latter road, now the Newberry Halsted |estate. His nephew E/ekiel, who had lately sold thisproperty to Philemon, bought, in 1771, the land far-ther south, now Mr. George L. Cornells and Mr. Un-derbill Halsteds. South of this, the greater part ofthe Neck was owned by David Brown, third son ofHachaliah. The little village of Milton had not yetsprang up. Lyons mill had probably ceased to ex-ist, and not more than two or three houses stoodalong the creek below. Sloops landed on the oppo-site side of the Neck from the present dock, at Knif-fins Cove, where there is still a dock, and whereformerly there had been a warehouse or store.Another large proprietor, Josiah Purdy, had now beendead some years. His son, Setb Purely, had succeeded
Text Appearing After Image:
RYE BEACH.. to his estate. He owned the lands on both sides ofthe post road, above the village, from the Cedars to Blind Brook. Josiah Purdys house stood a few-rods north of Park Institute, close upon theroad. Jonathan Kniftins farm in 1770 bordered upon thepost road, above Regent Street, and extended north-ward to Purchase Avenue. Regent Street was thentailed Knillins Lane- It was Jonathan Kniltinsdaughter who was so cruelly murdered on the high-Way near Rye in 1777. Peter Jay was living at thistime on the estate which he had bought twenty-liveyears before at Rye from John Budds grandson. TheJay mansion stood nearly on the site of the presenthouse. It was a long, low budding, but one roomdeep and eighty feet in width, having attained thissize by repeated additions to meet the wants id anumerous family. Here John Jay spent his child- hood. Mr. Jay, the father, exercised, no doubt, amarked influence in Bye. He is said to have been aman of sincere and fervent piety, of cheerful temper,w
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.
Image automatically curated and published by www.free-mail.co.za – CLICK HERE to learn more about WP Robot for WordPress.
Have you tried: Visiting Port Elizabeth?
