A cool Paternoster image:
St. Peter & St. Paul Catholic Church – Wolverhampton
Image by ell brown
St. Peter & St. Paul Catholic Church in Wolverhampton – it is on Paternoster Row and North Street.
Built 1825. Consecrated 1865.
The church is Grade II* listed.
SO9198NW NORTH STREET
895-1/11/272 (West side)
16/07/49 Catholic Church of St Peter and St
(Formerly Listed as:
Roman Catholic Church of St Peter
and St Paul)
Formerly known as: Catholic Church of St Mary and St John.
Catholic church. Sanctuary and transepts part of Giffard House
(q.v.) adapted from chapel; nave, 1826-8, by J.Ireland; south
chapel and sacristy, 1901, by E. Goldie; north chapel, c1920.
Stucco with ashlar dressings, parapeted roof. Greek Revival
style influenced by J.Soane. 4-bay nave to west and south
chapel to south of Giffard House. (q.v.). Re-entrant 2-storey,
3×3-bay sacristy and south porch; north chapel to north of
Giffard House. Nave has paired flat and angle pilasters to
angles, entablature and clerestory with pilaster strips and
cornice with blocking course; west window with battered
architrave, frieze and cornice, small-paned fixed glazing,
similar blind window to 2nd bay of south elevation; clerestory
has lunettes with archivolts, that to west blind; porch has
angle pilasters, entablature and coped parapet with statues of
SS Peter and Paul; north elevation has altar with incised
cross. South transept has similar treatment, south window has
panelled sill and stained glass. Sacristy is similar, with
12-pane horned sashes. Iron area railings and 2 panelled
piers. North chapel is plain, of brick with tile roof and
skylight, round-headed windows.
INTERIOR: flat pilasters with honeysuckle capitals and tunnel
vault with coffered ribs between roses, west gallery with
organ. 4 paintings of Evangelists in architraves, late C18,
Italian School; wall memorial brasses of kneeling figures and
large brass to Bishop John Milner (d.1826), probably by Augustus Welby
Northmore Pugin. Altar apse has former high altar moved
from sanctuary 1989, late C19, multi-coloured marble with
tabernacle and throne. Sanctuary has coffered dome with
entablature on pendentives and lantern with incised pattern;
South chapel has dome on Ionic columns with lantern; altar
recess has coffered vault, rich sarcophagus altar with wood
reredos with twisted pilasters, swan-necked pediment and shell
vault; altarpiece moved here, 1901; marble altar rail with
wrought-iron gates, from high altar; crucifix in rich
wrought-iron setting to west. North chapel has 3-bay Tuscan
arcade, tunnel vault and saucer dome to east end which has
relief figures; 3 windows have stained glass, probably parts
of C14 or C15 Jesse window (or could be early C19 work based
on window in St Mary’s, Shrewsbury). An important early
post-Reformation Catholic church with connections with Bishop
Milner, who was an important figure in the era of Catholic
emancipation and is buried in the crypt; the interior is one
of Ireland’s best works. The church forms an integral unit
with Giffard House.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
P.316; Robinson JM: Report on the Church of St Peter and St
Listing NGR: SO9125798890
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.
Have you tried: Visiting Port Elizabeth?